Express Yoursoul


"When emotion finds thought & thought finds words"



Was that too deep for you

If Yes---->This blog post is not for you.
If No----> Continue reading.


Why should YOU love poetry


1. It's a superpower
When you listen to or read poetry you have magical mind-reading abilities. Hearing somebody pour out their thoughts and feelings is as close to the truth as you'll ever get. 

"Poetry is nearer to the truth than history" 
- Plato


2.Stress reliever
Writing is a great ways to express yourself if you  think a lot, feel way too much, and/ or have an overactive imagination. Just try it, even if you feel like it'll be a jumbled mess. When the pen is in my hand, I begin with the hope that by the end of the session I have a better understanding of what I am feeling.

“A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song.”  
― Maya Angelou





One day this past summer as I was browsing YouTube, I clicked on a Spoken-word poetry video that was sitting in the suggested video panel...cause what the hell - I had nothing better to do!



"OCD"


So I watched this video and was in shock that I hadn't always known about it. I was actually angry at myself. How could I not know more about this popular American art-form , and consider myself an anthropology minor? So naturally,  I became obsessed with it for a couple of weeks.

Eventually, my obsession simmered down to a steady appreciation. Whenever I really love something, I have to tell everyone about it, so this blog is perfect for me, Now I can share my passion for poetry. 



Spoken word poets are some of the best writers, listen to at least one of them.
 I added the titles so you can decide which you would like best. 
Even though they are all incredible !


"Why I hate school but love education"


"To JK Rowling from Cho Chang"


"To the girl who works at Starbucks, I swear to god I'm not a stalker"


"Friend Zone"



"Thinking about you" 



"Bitter Sweet" Kanye West


( I know, I know -  Just realized the name pops up at the top of the video #ImUnnecesary )



I believe that art is not art unless it is shared. That is why all spoken word/ slam poetry is art.
 I've had a bunch of debates about this, in person, on the phone, over snapchat  with all kinds of people - including art history majors, friends, Vlad Babayan and even my parents. 

Let me just tell you many people DO NOT agree with me - Whatevs tho ima jus do me.

No, but seriously I love hearing everyone's point of view on this.


My Opinion


      A song, a painting, a sculpture  a doodle - anything that  can be considered "art", can ONLY be called art if it is shared. People are the sole reason for the concept of art and if we could not appreciate it together the idea of "art" wouldn't exist. If an expression of soul is never shared with the world ( or at least another person), then it remains just in it's physical essence (ie; a painting, drawing, story) and the creator remains JUST a drawer, JUST a singer, JUST a painter- but not an "Artist".



These are my opinions, don't you see?
I expect a lot of you to disagree, 
and that is simply fine with me.









I will leave you all with this; my favorite spoken word/ slam poetry performance. 
The moment I heard it all the way through, it instantly became my favorite. 
I can't tell you how many times I have listened to it ( I know it by heart ).



"Death Poem / The Happy Couple" - Alysia Harris


Until next time,
 Liv

No comments:

Post a Comment