Move Your Asana


First you feel like dying, then you feel reborn


Take a deep breath in...


OM


"Yoga is the perfect vehicle for change of yourself. First by creating a strong and powerful body and mind. It is a starting point from which you can begin to realize your human spirit."- Bikram Choudhury


What exactly does "Om" mean?


     Om is a sacred sound, and for many Om is considered to be the first sound of creation. Om is also considered to be the sound of silence. Quantum physics is now confirming what the ancient yogis described to us; that everything in the Universe vibrates and is alive
     When we are able to sit in silence we can tune into this vibration and hear, experience and participate in the hum of this vibration which is the sound Om. When this happens it is considered to be pure bliss as the one who has “tuned in’ not only tunes into the sound om but to all of creation, the whole, the holy.  (Learn More )
( When I was younger I would hum "om"  thinking it blended in with the noise I was hearing around me. I am not sure why I did this, but I remember thinking nobody would be able to hear it because it simply sounded like, stillness.)






Dandayamana – Dhanuraiana



I have always been active whether it was dancing, basketball, volleyball, running, rollerblading, Zumba, cross training, etc. - I've tried it all, mostly because I get bored quickly.Yoga has been the only consistent practice in my life so far.

(On the athletic/physical level) Every yogi knows that yoga is a life long practice of improving your balance, flexibility and technique. 

That's me practicing one of my favorite Bikram pose after class, while simultaneously taking a selfie ( which is now an legitimate word in the dictionary).






Bikram Yoga 


A set of 26 postures & 2 breathing exercises done in a 105 dg room with 40% humidty for 90 minutes. Only the strong survive...Just kidding, ACTUALLY the living creator of this yoga, strongly believes this yoga is for everyone, for any age, any body type, or physical ability.  


My 30 Day Bikram yoga challenge

I participated in a Bikram 30 Day challenge last spring and completed 27 days ( It's hard to find the time every single day ). I came out of it feeling so much leaner, more flexible, happy, composed, and balanced. I was also eating healthier  because I was putting in so much effort with the yoga, I wanted to go all out. I drank a green juice every day. My skin improved, and so did my organization skills, because I needed to organize time to fit the yoga into my life.




Do any of you remember when I was in the online video contest to go volunteer in Haiti??? Well that week was really stressful for me. There were times when I felt out of control of the situation, and as much as I tried to control the voting - in reality I could only do so much. I remember going to yoga just to de-stress from all of that - and it saved my week. The yoga studio is my sanctuary especially when life gets me down, or if I feel disconnected from myself.

 I need to give yoga a constant place in my life, my goal for this next year is to practice at least 2 times a week.

The only draw back is the price. I pay 120 for unlimited 1 month. But year round that costs me almost $1,500. Not very convenient for a student... BUT without mental and physical health we can't do much. You get what you pay for.





Bikram Benefits

Try holding this for 10 seconds or more.


1. Weight loss

Bikram yoga is known for burning anywhere from 500 to 1000 calories a session. The harder you work in class the more calories you will burn. You will sweat like you never thought you could.



2. Back pain relief 
A combination of the heat and the moving, twisting, extending and compressing of every joint can alleviate arthritis. I felt relief of my lower back pain, which has always been a problem for me. 

5. Radiant skin

You will feel clean inside and out. You'll get a "Bikram glow” - watch as your eyes become brighter and your skin becomes more clear and soft. Have you ever noticed how yogi's look so radiant and young? Well, now you know.




6. Stress & Anxiety Management / Balance emotions
 Bikram’s guru Bishnu Gosh said Mental stress and strain is the cause of all diseases, even infectious ones.”  A regular practice can lower cortisol levels, calm the mind, increase mental clarity and release and reduce stress and tension. Practicing Bikram Yoga cultivates the mental faculties of faith, self-control, concentration, determination, and patience. As we become more aware of our inner life, we notice how events, interactions, and even the atmospheric pressure can affect us. 


7. Anti-Aging / Preventative Medicine

Bikram Yoga acts as anti-aging  and preventative medicine keeping the body young and healthy. “Yoga maintains youth long. It keeps the body full of vitality, immune to diseases, even at old, old age. The Yogi never becomes old”. -Bishnu Ghosh




Bikram Choudhury  quotes on his yoga method:


"Falling out of a posture means you are human; getting back into the posture means you are a yogi."
"Would you rather suffer 90 minutes or 90 years?"
"It's never too late, it's never too bad, and you're never too old or too sick to start from scratch once again."


If you are feeling stressed out, need to reconnect with yourself, or want to try somehting new, I reccomend Bikram. If you want to talk about it with someone, please feel free to comment and we can talk ! :)

Namaste,
"The divine in me honors the divine in you."

Love, 
Liv 


For all my yogis ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment