My First Impressions of the Europeans

Unfiltered Thoughts 


     Honestly, I was worried that Christina and Camilla would think that Boston, UMB, and myself were boring compared to their countries. There is this stigma that Americans are uncultured, poorly educated (about the world), and lazy. I did not want them to have this idea, about my city, my school and especially me. But to my surprise they were both so excited to be here and see the sites that most Bostonians don't think twice about. At the beginning of every class they share what they want to experience this semester and their plans to travel to New York, Cape Cod, go clubbing, & shopping ( obviously! ) etc.

One of the first things I noticed about both of them were their shoes and their accents.

Accents was first- they both have strong German and Italian accents- I love it. I wish I could record them to show you (Ohh... great idea - We'll do a video for you all! ).

Shoes came second. Christina and Camilla don't wear flip flops, moccasins, or boat shoes in the fall, like most girls here do. They prefer to wear sneakers, either plain white ones or mid-top and super colorful Nike's.
 
                           

Camilla's hair stood out to me, she has this short, blonde a-symetrical pixie cut ( Kind of like the singer, Robyn). It is so bold and daring to me and she rocks it. Not many girls in this area sport that type of cut, most girls keep their hair at shoulders length or longer (usually with an Ombre of some sort...I fall into this category. Oops). Miley Cyrus and Beyonce both cut their hair really short  and it got media coverage, so that in itself is an indication that women in our culture gravitate toward traditional long hairstyle.
                   
                                                   
Are Europeans more daring with their fashion sense in comparison to Americans? They put their outfits together in ways I would not think of, by combining materials and pieces in ways that I find
strange, but they wear it with such confidence! Every time I admire the fashion styles of exchange students I always think, "Do they know something I don't know?" Europeans are not born with natural fashion sense, but some are born in the fashion capitals and that is where trends begin, before they  make their way to the states ( which takes 1-2 years).



Christina in her floral scarf
After having lived in Europe for 7 years and traveled to countries like Greece, Switzerland, and Spain, I believe that women care more about how they look on a daily basis as opposed to only when they are "going out" or have a special event to attend. I can see this in Camilla and Christina, they both look nice for class, always in pretty tops & jeans and of course - sneakers! They also would not be wearing exercise clothes in pubic or to class. Girls in the states are guilty of wearing yoga pants anywhere they go, becuse they are comfortable, and make their butts look good. Camilla and Christina love to wear scarves with their outfits as well, they feel that it pulls the look together. Christina has more than 15 scarves and Camilla has 20 ! Scarves are a popular accessory here in the states too, so this was not shocking to me
Camilla in her animal print scarf
And can we talk about the men please? European men on average ( I have to stay politically correct ) dress better than American men. Alright, screw political correctness European men dress better than American men, HANDS DOWN.

Ex.A
     



Back to the topic of first impressions. Camilla and Christina are two sweet and friendly girls, butI thought they would be more stuck up because that is the American perception of "European disposition"....especially Germans! But it is not true in this case, they are both so funny & down to Earth, it has changed my perception a lot.

First impressions of people are not always a good indication of who they are. First impression is 20% what they say/ how they look and 80% what I've already decided about them in my head from past experiences and stereotypes. I think a lot of people do this, it is natural, so
one must really get passed the surface to realize people are way more like you than you assume.

Ciao, talk to you soon!
With love,
Liv




No comments:

Post a Comment